Friday, July 20, 2012

Quilting with Kids

During the summer I do a lot of sewing.  It's a great way to relax and I like to make several quilts so that I can do the hand-sewing of the binding when it is cold outside (or when the hubby spends 10 hours watching football on a Sunday).  Each school year, I make a quilt with my class with the help of my mother-in-law.  She is the one who taught me how to sew and she loves coming to school and working on this project each year.  I thought I'd share some of the quilts I have made with my kids. 

 The first year, the quilt was an end of the year project and each student drew a picture of their favorite memory of 4th grade.  I hang this quilt for back to school so my new class can have a little preview of some fun things we do in 4th grade.


The next year the kids wrote diamond poems on kites.  I hang this quilt during the spring.


The following year they designed pumpkin faces...


Last year they drew hand turkeys around wrote things they were thankful for.


I also made this quilt a few years back when our entire district read "Three Cups of Tea".  Each student in my school signed their name on the block.  Students also made the dolls in the middle which I attached to the quilt. 


This school year I'm so excited because we are making a holiday quilt.  I LOVE Christmas and the holiday season.  One of the fun things we do in 4th grade is learn about how people celebrate the holidays around the world.  Each student is going to decorate an ornament to symbolize their heritage and how they celebrate the holidays. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!