Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th!

So today the "4th" doesn't have to do with Yoda or Star Wars, but freedom, liberty, and for me, supporting members of our armed forces. Each year I incorporate service learning projects that "Support the Troops" in my classroom, because I personally feel that children need opportunities to thank the people who keep us safe and protect our freedom. 

I am a little Christmas obsessed and it makes me happy to share a holiday project in July.  We read the poem "The Night Before Christmas" in my class and as a follow-up, we read "The Soldier's Night Before Christmas".  The book does a wonderful job using the rhyme scheme of the original poem and the kids love listening to it! 
The Soldiers' Night Before Christmas (Big Little Golden Book)

After reading the book, I used the template I found at Milkwood Designs to create a hot cocoa envelopes that look like mugs.  You can download the free template here.  The students decorated the envelopes and we sent them to the USO at O'Hare Airport. 


There are other easy ways to incorporate "Supporting the Troops" in your classroom.  The Red Cross sponsor's "Holiday Cards for Heroes" each year and starts collecting cards earlier in the year.

"A Million Thanks" is another organization that collects cards and letters to send to members of our military.

If you have someone that you know who is in the service, you can use the website "Snapio" to send free cards and greetings to your loved one.   

Another idea is send letters and cards to a USO or organization that sends care packages.  I volunteered at the USO at O'Hare airport for a few years and the organization offered free supplies and items to soldiers who came through.  Toothpaste, wipes, beef jerkey, pop, coffee, food, and other items could be taken by the soldiers, but the most frequently taken item were cards off the table that were made by children.  I saw many soldiers choose a card made by a child, fold it up, and put it into their uniform pocket.

Stay cool today and remember those who sacrifice their lives and comfort for our freedom.  I'm heading off to a White Sox game...hopefully I don't melt in the 100 degree heat!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!